Running Gear Review: Aftershokz Trekz Titanium Headphones

As someone who specializes in shorter distances, I rarely wear headphones. The wireless ones feel uncomfortable to wear with my glasses and the wired ones are not convenient to wear while running fast intervals. When offered to test wireless open-ear headphones by Aftershokz as a BibRavePro, I got very excited. This could be the opportunity to find headphones that fit my workouts!



"Disclaimer: I received Aftershokz headphones to review as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review find and write race reviews!"
 
Before testing the Aftershokz Trekz Titanium, I had five key concerns about them:
- Will they feel comfortable?
- Will I be able to wear them with my glasses on?
- Will I be able to wear them on rainy days and during sweaty runs?
- Will they stay put during a sprint, core, and plyometric workout?
- Will the music sound good?

1. Comfort

I must admit being a bit worried when trying them on for the first time. They felt quite tight and I did not know if I would be able to wear them for too long. However, they are a bit like shoes and one has to wear them a few times to stretch them out. The fit ended up feeling perfect after a few uses and I actually ended up even forgetting I had them on one evening, after a full day of wearing them.

2. Wearing them with Glasses


I tried putting on the headphones after my glasses were on and putting them on before. I found the fit more comfortable when doing the latter. I actually slide the branches of my glasses under the branches of the headphones when I do it. My glasses have pretty thick branches, but it does not push my ears out, so I was pleasantly surprised.


3. Wearing them in the Rain

Living in Vancouver, there is no avoiding doing some workout in the rain. I usually end up running in wooded areas or at the gym when the rain is heavy, but if it is light, I just go out and dress appropriately. I tested them during a very sweaty workout at the gym and in light rain and they were still working after that. The only challenge I encountered was when I tried wearing them under a hood. They started moving as soon as I started running because the back band was sticking out behind my head a little and rubbing against the hood. I think I might not have had that issue if I had picked the Mini size of the Aftershokz Trekz headphones. They had a sizing chart on their website that I did not use because I just assumed I had a big head because hats were often too small for me. 

4. Wearing them During High-Intensity Interval Workouts

This is where these headphones surprised the most. They did not move at all no matter what I did: hill sprints, bounds, stair runs, box jumps, and even stretches with my head down. This continued to be the case even after they softened and started feeling less tight! I also liked that I did not have to have the phone on me or in my hand for them to work during my gym workouts. With a wireless range of 10m, I could just leave my phone on my bag while lifting weights or doing a few jumps nearby and still be able to listen to music.


5. Sound Quality

The sound volume was a lot better than I expected. The only time I ended up being unable to properly listen to my music was when running by a very busy highway on a rainy day. If not running, walking, or biking, you can turn your Aftershokz headphones in noise cancelling headphones by simpling sticking some earplugs in your ears. Because they use bone conduction technology, you will still be able to hear the music very well.

The sound quality also surprised me. Some songs do create more “tickling” kind of vibrations than others and a few with some heavy bass make the headphones “bounce” on my cheeks when played at high volume. I ended up getting used to the vibrations to it over time and created a Spotify playlist of songs that I especially enjoyed when working out with my Aftershokz Trekz and free of bass-heavy songs. 

6. A Few Surprises

Musical Naps
As a mum I liked how these phones allow me to listen to music while my little one is napping and not missing her calling me for a hug or a glass of water when she wakes up. I can also safely listen to some music when watching her play at the playground. 

Singing Coach
Do you know how when you sing along to a song with headphones on you always think you sound a lot better than in reality? Well, not with AfterShokz headphones. As a singer-in-training, I love how they allow me to practice a song along with the music during my morning walks. If I am not singing a note properly, I will hear it.

Phone Headset 
I also liked how they can turn into a phone headset when someone calls you and I could have clear conversations safely while pushing the stroller.  The only time I had a challenge using the microphone was when in a bus filled with other chatty passengers. My friend told me she could hear the people around me as loud as myself and had trouble understanding me. On the other hand, another friend had no trouble understanding me when I was talking by a busy street. I think this was because these AfterShokz Trekz Titanium have noise-canceling headphones that reduce surrounding noise and enhance speech. I have yet to test if toddlers screaming and laughing in a playground qualifies as speech. 

Conclusion

The Aftershokz Trekz Titanium headphones allow me to do a lot more with music than ever before. It seems it is possible to be a bespectacled short distance runner and still get a musical motivation boost when training. You can expect to see me wearing them at the gym and at the track.

 Giveaway

 Want to win your own pair? Check out my post about their Canada Day contest: http://looseleafrunner.blogspot.com/2018/06/aftershokz-trekz-titanium-giveaway.html
Act quickly as the contest ends on June 29, 2018!